Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cake Creations

In another inventive phase I actually printed off several recipes for inspiration and sat down and combined ingredients, quantities etc. to form my own recipe for a desired taste and then made it. I was extremely impressed. There are a few changes I want to make next time to perfect it but I will add those in here in red. If you make this, please let me know what changes you incorporate and how it turns out!!
Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Pineapple Upside-down Cake?
Ingredients:
2 cups self-rising flour (needs more flour, try 3)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 tsps cinnamon
2 cups sweet potato (make sure its well drained..I used cooked and frozen from my last years garden)
2 tsps vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1/4 oil (can cut down on this a tad or substitute applesauce)
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
Filling:
8oz cream cheese (softened)
1 egg
3 tbs sugar
Topping:
Pineapple rings
3/4 stick butter
3/4 brown sugar
1/2 tsp coconut/vanilla extract
Chopped nuts (optional, I didn't use these but thought about adding them next time)
Directions:
Preheat Oven to 375. Mix Sweet potato, eggs, oil, vanilla, pineapple, pineapple juice together. In seperate bowl mix flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg. Make well into flour mixture and pour potato mixture into it. Mix gently. Mix Filling Ingredients together in a seperate bowl and set aside.
In skillet melt butter, add brown sugar-stir over medium LOW heat until melted and mixed. Pour into a bundt pan (I use a stoneware bundt pan but this would probably work in other kinds of cake pans). Arrange pineapple slices into mixture. Pour half of pumpkin batter on top, pour cream cheese mix in, swirl slightly and pour the other half of pumpkin batter in. Bake approx. 1 hr or until tester comes out clean.

This created a VERY moist (almost like it wasn't done but it was) cake with a heavenly flavor and delightful aroma. It was a hit but I want to PERFECT it! I hope you enjoy it! AND PLEASE leave comments on your suggested changes, how it turned out and even name ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment