Sunday, December 11, 2011

Butterscotch Chip Oatmeal Cake

I'm not sure why, but nothing screams Holiday to me like Butterscotch. Probably because one of the first treats that became "tradition" to make were Haystacks. Oh how many Christmases my sister and I spent laughing over haystacks. By the time we were done making them, and boxing them for family and friends we were so sick of butterscotch we could puke.



I came across a recipe in a little obscure (to me anyway) magazine called "Fall Baking" (By Better Homes and Gardens 2011). I had to try it. My oatmeal butterscotch cookies last year were a huge hit so a cake had to be amazing! And that was the response I got from Beth on Pinterest night when I served it up with coffee "effing amazing."



Butterscotch Chip Oatmeal Cake



1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats

1 3/4 cups boiling water

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups self-rising flour

1 tsp finely shredded orange peel

1 package of butterscotch chips (12 ounces)

Pecans Optional


Directions:

Cut up butter and place in a bowl with the oatmeal. Pour boiling water over it and set aside for 8-10 minutes.


Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Grease and flour 13x9 pan.


Add both sugars to oats. Stir. Add eggs. Stir in flour and orange peel. Once well mixed add butterscotch. Pour into prepared pan. (sprinkle with pecans if so desired).Bake approx. 40 minutes. Cool completely.


My butterscotch formed a candy crust on the bottom that was a little hard to get out on the first few pieces but oh so crunchety goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment