Monday, December 7, 2009

Momma's Chicken and Dumplins

My husband often "complains" when I get in a cooking mood. Believe it or not, the "complaint" is: "When can we have some plain food." Huh?

Bless his heart he puts up with all my trials and tests and rarely requests something. When he DOES request something or really enjoy something I am sure to fill said request or put item on the menu rotation immediately. Feeding people and pleasing them through my food, brings me joy. Plain and simple.

This week he requested Chicken and Dumplins. Well crud. I don't MAKE Chicken and Dumplins because that is ONE of those dishes that is just NOT THE same as when Momma makes it. As darling hubby pointed out though, my momma doesn't live close by anymore. Bless HER heart, she emailed me directions. NOT a recipe mind you, as there are not measurements to it. Ofcourse, being my mother's daughter, I didn't measure anything either! Despite that, I NAILED it. They came out AWESOME!

For YOU, I did try to keep an eye on my dumping and mixing to give you an IDEA of measurements but this post, well this post is going to be more like instructions rather than a recipe. (much like that Turkey post I made. I know, I'm falling down on the job. I promise to measure next time).

Momma's Chicken and Dumplins

Ingredients:
3 large split chicken breasts with SKIN and BONE
Salt
1/3 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
4+ Cups of Self Rising Flour (though Bisquick would be acceptable)
1/2 Cup Cold Water (estimate)
1 stick non salted butter
Pepper to taste

Directions: Boil chicken in large stock pot making sure water completely covers chicken breasts and about 1 tsp salt to pot. Cook until done. Remove Chicken breasts but leave stock in pot. When chicken breasts have cooled, remove meat from bone and skin and dice meat into cubes.

Mix oil, flour and water (may have to adjust amounts) until soft ball forms. May be slightly sticky. Roll ball onto floured service and flatten with rolling pin. Cut dough into strips and then cut cross ways for small dumplings. Bring Stock to rolling boil, and add butter salt and pepper. Drop dumplings into stock and keep stirring with a long handled spoon. Boil on high for 1-2 minutes. Turn down to medium high and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes until dumplins are done (plump and no longer doughy in the middle). Turn down heat and add the chicken.
Continue to stir on low for another minute or two until everything is heated through and stock is thickened.

Serve warm with a sprinkle of dried parsley. MMMMMMM. Talk about comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment