Friday, January 15, 2010

Minestrone Soup from Stephanie

Sorry it has been a while. I meant to help Krista out while her lungs were on the fritz. But here we go. I made a phenomenal (if I do say so myself) minestrone soup.
Here's what you need:
Stock
Carrots
Onion
Green beans
Kidney beans
Crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (I hate tomato chunks, but do what you like)
Tomato paste
Garlic
Dried rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme (or the italian seasoning mix in your cupboard)
Parmesan cheese rind
1 lb box of pasta of your choice

I had some chicken stock and a ham bone, so I made broth with the bone and combined the two.
There it is simmering away. Then I had to let it sit in my tundra of a garage to chill for a day or so. This way, I can scrape the fat off the top and the flavors have a chance to get cozy and wonderful together. Keep in mind, you can use stock in a box too. Don't be scared away!






Dice up your veggies and pop them into the pot. Please for the love of all that is holy, drain your beans and rinse them under fast running water until they stop "sudsing." If you don't, then I claim no
responsibility for the gas that will ensue. That thick sodium packed liquid your beans are packed in will throw your gut for a very unpleasant and uncomfortable night. Just sayin'.
Pour in your crushed tomatoes (I had made some tomato sauce
the other day and just used my leftovers) and your tomato paste and herbs.
Cut up your parmesan rind into a few big chunks (yes, you can leave it out and use a few tablespoons of grated parm) and plop that in your pot too. And finally, a box of pasta. I had shells. Let your pasta cook till al dente and then top with a sprinkle of more parmesan and Serve!








No comments:

Post a Comment