Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Turkey Patty Melts

In my quest to not only eat healthier but to eat things less likely to send me scurrying for an EPI pen, I've entered the realm of using lots of ground turkey.

Rather than just substitute I'm looking for things that can be flavorful and preferable as ground turkey, so I decided to try my hand at turkey burgers, but not JUST turkey burgers, Turkey Patty Melts.

Turkey Patty Melts

Ingredients:
Block cheese (your choice, I used Chedder and Monterey Jack) cut into slices
1 onion
1 lb turkey
salt and pepper
1 egg
3/4 cup bread crumbs
8 pieces of bread
mayo/mustard
1/2 stick of butter (healthy what?)

Directions:
In large bowl mix, 1/2 of the onion (finely chopped), salt and pepper, egg and bread crumbs. Pat into four burger patties and grill on a George Foreman grill or grill pan.
While patties are cooking, melt 1-2 tbs butter in pan and caramelize the other 1/2 of the onion cut into rings.
Place mayo/mustard on bread, add cheese slices on both sides, top with onions and turkey patties. Melt the rest of the butter (1 tbs per sandwich) and grill sandwich till cheese is melted and bread is golden brown and crisp.

DELICIOUS! Okay, so despite the use of turkey, the butter kind of makes it not so healthy but its all in proportion people and I love my butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment