Thursday, September 16, 2010

I don't know HOW to be pregnant

I know nothing about being pregnant. IF, TTC or PCOS? I’ve got that covered. I’ve researched PCOS, diets for PCOS, treatments for PCOS. I’ve struggled with emotions of inferiority, bitterness, inadequacy, etc. I KNOW how to handle those. I can spout side-effects and statistics of Clomid in my sleep. I’ve read Fertility Books and what to do and not to do in the first trimester.

Now, I am in territory I’ve never been in and suddenly realize I have no clue what I am doing. All my knowledge and know how is out the window because I’ve never READ this far or BEEN this far. I’m entering a phase where I could be asking stupid questions and getting side-eyed because I feel like a moron.

I still THINK like an IFer and Miscarriage survivor. Those are still my identities. I do not think like a pregnant woman going in to her 2nd Trimester. I don’t know HOW to do that. Who knew those feelings of inadequacy and inferiority would continue on but with new direction? I surely didn’t. (and don’t call me Shirley)

For example today’s “What I don’t know”: Is cracked lips, dry bloody nose and tight chest and itchy skin normal? Is it because I’m pumping more blood and need even more water to keep hydrated as I’m sharing with the baby? I know I’m supposed to drink more water than normal but I feel like I’m trying to water the Sarah Dessert with a garden sprinkler here.

So what do I need to know? What books do you recommend for me? I have the Pregnancy Bible and I’ve been reading that. I have What to Expect stashed somewhere though I admit, I’ve never been a big fan of that book since I read some of its fear mongering.

If you could leave me and my readers any piece of information what would it be? Could be a book recommendation, a to do list, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I bet you are an amazing pregnant woman and now it's just something else for you to perfect while you bake that tiny little bambino.

    I obviously have no recommendations. Uhhh, stop drinking? There, that's all I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do what we all do - you'll surround yourself with women who know stuff, and you'll figure it out as you go along.

    Drinking a lot of water will go a long way to keeping your whole body hydrated, but if you need a little more for dry skin, Palmer's Soothing Oil for Dry Skin is fantastic. It has a relatively pleasant smell, and it comes in a spray bottle so it isn't horribly messy. I used that with baby Aveeno (lavender scent! yay!) and I felt a lot better.

    ReplyDelete