Monday, November 22, 2010

Pregnant Panhandlers- A Rant

Just so you know, going into this, I’m a very practiced equestrian and I love being on a high horse (as long as I can sit a Western Saddle). So if you are offended by my judgments on those less fortunate than myself, I suggest you stop reading now.

Panhandlers annoy me. I know there are many people who have lost jobs and homes and have issues and I feel sorry for them. I really do. I always try to say to myself “you don’t know what they’ve been through.” The problem is the few times I’ve tried to offer some food or a bottle of water they scoff at me. They want money. Well sorry bucko, but beggars can’t be choosers. If you are that choosey, then you don’t really need it.

In my state Panhandling has become quite lucrative. They did an expose on one of the more well known panhandlers in Greensboro only to find that when he’s not wearing his “homeless uniform” he’s driving around in a Cadillac and has a very nice house, while laughing at the people he’s hosed. All of a sudden there’s one on every corner which automatically breeds distrust.

More specifically, if you are a female, wearing nice clothes and holding a sign that says “Homeless, just had a baby, need money” with no baby in sight, I’m not giving you crap. ESPECIALLY when there is a HIRING sign on the store BEHIND your sorry ass. If you REALLY have a kid, then you obviously have a sitter or someone to help you, so take yourself inside and apply for a job and use their address. We have WAY too many programs available that my taxes pay for along with local and national charities I contribute to regularly to be doling out cash for something I honestly believe is a flat lie to appeal to people’s sympathy.

Here’s the clincher for me though. TWO women standing at the same intersection (different medians) in front of the hospital in Winston holding cardboard signs “Homeless and Pregnant, God Bless You.” Of course I have to pass them to get to my OBGYN. What takes the cake? They both stand there brazen as can be eating fast food, with large gulp cups and smoking like freight trains. I want to murder them.

I see them all the time. I don’t believe for a skinny minute they are BOTH pregnant and if they are homeless how the heck are they buying cigarettes when they need to be eating for those babies and NOT smoking. I’m sick of the ploys to get money for doing nothing. Oh, its hard work standing out on a pretty day (because I never see them when the weather isn’t beautiful) for hours taking money and chatting with your girlfriend. Whatever. Get a fucking job like the rest of us and if you can’t afford to have a kid, don’t get pregnant. If you can’t afford a home, having nasty street sex in a cardboard box should be the last thing on your mind.

Maybe I’m just a doubting person because I have seen way too much corruption and know of way too many manipulative people, but I can’t honestly believe 95% of the panhandlers I see. When they use babies to evoke the heartstrings it makes me see red, especially when I know they are being mistreated if they are truly pregnant etc by how they are treating their bodies.
To try to ease my frustration when I see them (and my blood pressure) DH jokes about how they both got knocked up by the guy Panhandler a block down and he’s panhandling to pay his future child support. I laugh, but I gag at the same time….because the image of the three unattractive people rolling around in an alley makes me want to puke.

1 comment:

  1. I too judge. Though I'm more of a English hunter jumper type, I'll ride western with your judgement posse anyday.
    To add to the gag factor, imagine the smell of the Panhandler and his ladies rolling around in the alley. Nothing says loving like the smell of unwashed body.:)

    ReplyDelete