Friday, November 12, 2010

Letter to My Son

Dear Baby Boy,

We haven’t decided on your name yet. It’s a big decision because you have to live with it the rest of your life. We don’t want to make a mistake and have you hate us for it later. We have picked it out along with a few backups but have not made the official decision yet. If only I could ask you what you wanted to be called…or could see your precious face and know what name would suit you best.

You have no idea what is in store for you though. You have an amazing life ahead of you. Your father and I both have big ideas of things for you to do, activities you may enjoy, and the endless possibilities of what you will turn out to be. None of them matter. Only your happiness matters. We will support you in whatever way you need, whatever you decide to do and whoever you turn out to be.

Until I meet you though, I am dreaming of all the possibilities. I’m imagining the activities that you will enjoy, the things you are going to do as you grow and the pure joy you are going to experience. You will have opportunities to ride horses through the mountain trails with your cousins, have cannonball competitions in the pool with your friends on a hot southern summer day, learn how to garden with your mommy and experience the most amazing flavors like fresh tomatoes off the vine, build birdhouses for boy scouts with your Dad, ride a hay wagon behind your grandpa on his tractor, eat fresh crisp watermelon on your Grandma’s front porch, splash through the waves with your cousins that live on the coast, and frolic in the yard with two doggies that are waiting in unbridled anticipation to be your best friends.

There are so many things you will learn, and unending possibilities of what you can be. You can be a doctor, a lawyer, a true cowboy, a grocery store bag boy or the President of the United States. You can join the military and fight for our freedom like your father and his father before him and/or you can go to college like your parents and grandparents before us. You can start a high school rock band, and make platinum albums or play in the garages. You can fly to the moon or mars or another galaxy all together.

As my favorite author once stated “The knowledge that someone believes in one keeps one trying to make good.” ~ Emilie Loring. Your father and I will always believe in you and help you to make good in your life. To live as happily as possible and weather the storms when they come.

I promise you that no one will ever love you more or believe in you as we already do. Our love can only grow as you do, as we guide you on your journey to becoming a great man that I already feel you are. You will be the best of both of us and a true reflection of how much we love each other. We put everything into having you and we will continue to put everything into making your life an amazing adventure of love and hope and endless possibilities.

My precious little boy, I love you beyond words, beyond time and beyond anything I’ve ever imagined. I carry you with me now and soon will hold you in my arms and gaze upon your perfect face.
Always,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment