Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chicken Stock

Ina Garten touts the joys of fresh chicken stock non-stop. Granted, I abosolutely believe it and do take advantage of chicken stock when I crock pot a whole chicken. But I actually made chicken stock. Just to make chicken stock.

I used a whole cut up chicken for another dish. So I juet kept the wings and neck out. I put those in a pot of 8 cups of water, two peeled carrots, one stick of celergy, two garlic cloves chopped in half, and one small onion sliced. Salt and pepper.

Simmer for 2 hours till chicken is cooked through. Drain out the vegetables and chicken and you have a beautiful rich fragrant stock. About a 1/2 gallon.

Some of the easiest things in life are so often overlooked. Grab you some storage containers and freeze some homemade stock today. You will thank me (and Ina) later.

No comments:

Post a Comment