Sunday, June 7, 2009

Protect Your Children

This post is not meant to scare anyone, so don't freak out. As many of you know, I am in Real Estate and I have to take Continuing Education classes to keep my license every year. Now, while this is the bane of my existence right now, I do learn something new occasionally and this year I took a class on Environmental Hazards because it sounded interesting.

A few things stood out to me:
New statistics show that 75-90% of the population now has a predominantly indoor sedentary lifestyle.
EPA says that our indoor air quality is 10-200 times worse than outdoor air quality.
New construction techniques which improve efficieny also creates an environment for mold which can include toxic varieties due to new construction materials and the air tightness of methods.
150,000 known species of MOLD.

What does this mean to you? Be aware of health issues where you live whether you rent or own. This includes but is not limited to Asbestos building materials, formaldehyde (more prevalent in newer construction), Radon (all over the United States and probably world wide), Lead Paint (structures built prior to 1978) and MOLD. Be very concious of humidity and moisture in your home to help prevent mold issues.

These issues can cause serious health issues for everyone but are especially noticeable in children under 6 and pregnant women. While I may be reduced to a bored mass of blubbering tears from these classes, it is worth it to share information with all of you and my clients, so I wanted to take this opportunity to post a simple reminder. Consider yourself reminded and more informed. If I can ever answer any questions, please let me know. Much Love to all of you and your loved ones!

*Disclaimer: I am not nor do I claim to be an expert on any Environmental Hazardous Issues nor on Real Estate in any area other than North Carolina. I will however help direct you in the appropriate direction/professionals/agencies/organizations if any of these issues are of concern to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment